Saturday, December 23, 2006

Great Forbes Article on What Makes People Excel

Thanks to my buddy Carla for telling me about this article. I was very intrigued when she mentioned it because lately I've been trying to figure out why some people are motivated and others aren't. Having teenagers does tend to make one ponder such issues. Anyway, this article is applicable to all sorts of things in which one may excel. I was pleased that it validated what I've said about writing. Many times when I've sat down to write, I don't really want to do it. It seems like I'm not getting anywhere, or I don't understand what the plot needs, or why the character comes off as sort of flat. Well, this article says, "Quit complaining and keep at it. The more you do it, the more you'll learn. Push yourself! Reach for higher achievement, and guess what? You can be great!" It also says people weren't *born* to greatness. They worked for it. Even Tiger Woods. Wow. Even Tiger?

I like knowing things are "do-able" for all of us.

It *is* funny, though, how in the end of the article the writer confirms what I feared: even though the experts have figured out that working hard will get you to great places, they haven't figured out why some are motivated and others aren't.

Dang. I guess I'll have to research that some more.

So in order to constantly get better at this writing business, I'll keep trying to learn more, to practice more. I've seen the process work, as I have a friend who has a highly successful family. Every single one of them has achieved great things. They practice what this article says to do, and I'm convinced it's worked for them.

Anyway, here's the link:

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2006/10/30/8391794/index.htm?postversion=2006101915

No comments: