Saturday, February 16, 2008

Phyllis A. Whitney Dead at 104

Honestly I had no idea if she was living or not. All I know is that when I was in 6th grade, I read ALL of her young adult books and probably some adult mystery type books, too. She had a great influence on me, she and author Dorothy Eden. I'd graduated from reading all the dog books in the school library, and I just remember the gothic, sort of cozy mystery feel of these YA authors' writings.

So according to her obit, Ms. Whitney was indeed 104 years old when she passed away recently. She had written for over 50 years. When she was 79, she said she'd always thought when she "was old" she would read her books over again. But she never felt old!

I think that's the secret to longevity, don't you? If you never *feel* old, or act old, then maybe you fool your body into believing it's still young and you keep on going! LOL

Anyway, I'm just in awe of people like Ms. Whitney. The obit said she and her first husband divorced after I think 5 years, and it implied that he did not support her writing and that was a cause of their parting ways. I'm glad my hubby supports my writing. I can't imagine living with someone who didn't believe in me. What kind of love is that? Fortunately for her, Phyllis Whitney remarried and that one must've been a good guy cuz they were married until his death in the 1970's. She outlived him by a lot!!

Well, two great influences on my writing have passed away lately, the other being Kathleen Woodiwiss. She turned so many of us on to romance novels, and got us involved in the industry. She made a writer want to put the passion behind the prose. Man, was she good at it.

Kathleen and Phyllis, I'm sure you're entertaining the crowds up there in heaven!

1 comment:

Chelle Sandell said...

I was sad to hear abut Kathleen Woodiwiss! So many of us grew up reading her.