Thursday, January 17, 2008

Two Posts in One Evening



This is to prove that when I'm not typing, I'm still moving my fingers.


Okay, so I'm also a knitter. Been at it since I was about 8 years old.


Over Christmas, I made a few ornaments, as usual. Also am almost finished with a sweater I started for myself back in August. But a quick, fun project was a Dark Mark (Harry Potter ) Illusion Scarf that I did for my 16-year-old daughter. She saw the free pattern on another knitter's blog and said she would like it. Illusion, or shadow knitting, is a cool way of knitting to a chart (like counted cross-stitch) where your purl stitches in contrast with the knitted ones create a "shadow" of something in what at most angles appears to be a simple striped scarf. The far left photo is of the scarf from most angles, looking like it's just striped. The second photo shows the snake-through-the-skull that it knitted in on both ends. Pretty cool, hunh?


3 comments:

Unknown said...

I used to knit but haven't done anything in years. A new yarn store opened in my neighborhood. They're giving a short class on four needle mitts with the fluff inside. Great for our winters in eastern Canada. I plan to make them as Christmas presents for next year. Maybe if I start now I'll have a few pairs finished. AaaH not enough hours in the day.

Carol Burnside aka Annie Rayburn said...

Very cool! :) I learned to crochet instead. Never got into knitting.

Carol Burnside aka Annie Rayburn said...

Hey, I just came across a project you might be interested in - knitting caps for premie babies. See the particulars here:
http://capsforcuties.org/Caps_for_Cuties/Welcome.html

I ran across the info on Kate Willoughby's blog. :)